It happens every year. When the weather starts to turn a
little warmer I start to get a little nervous. It has always been this way for
me, but it got so much worse after the tornado in Joplin nearly one year ago. I
clearly remember that day. I leave near Joplin, but was not affected by the
tornado which I feel very fortunate about. I was at my home watching the
weather forecast on the local news station and pacing the floor while holding
on to my nine day old daughter. Storms always got my attention and made me a
little nervous, but it is so different now. I was surprised at how having my
daughter had changed me. I couldn’t sit down. I just kept walking the floors,
looking out the window, and praying it would pass. As I listen to the news reports
I was shocked and saddened by what I was hearing.
Since
that time, I have been even more nervous when the weather starts to turn warm
in the spring. It is amazing how quickly everything can change. It goes from so
pretty to so ugly in just a blink. I do love the warmer temperatures. I enjoy
getting outside and planting things and digging in the dirt. I’m excited to get
my daughter outside this year to enjoy the spring weather. Last year she was
just too little to get her out much. So, when it comes to spring weather I’m a
little torn.
I find
that I am already trying to better prepare myself for the potential dangers
that the spring weather might bring. My husband and I have put together an
emergency plan including where we would go and what we would do if dangerous
weather becomes possible. I have never been as concerned before. I found that
over the past few days I have paid even more attention to the watches and warnings.
I have included an emergency kit that includes everything that my daughter
might need. I want to keep all of her pictures protected too. It’s so much to
think of. If the sky turns ugly I just want to be able to grab our family and
pets and head to safety and not have to worry about gathering items that we
might need.
I hope
that this year is more peaceful for everyone with less heartache and loss.
No comments:
Post a Comment