Thursday, February 2, 2012

Flying

When I first started flying, I would get nervous before my flight and my husband would tell me that I was at a much greater risk traveling in a car. At first I thought this idea was crazy. Falling from the sky seemed much more dangerous to me. I began paying attention to news reports and an occasional statistic and turns out he was right. There are many more deaths related to motor vehicle accidents every year in the United States than there are from plane crashes. So, after a few flights I got over my fear of flying which didn't last long and started really enjoying it. I even found it to be relaxing after I got to the right terminal. This was especially true if I had time on my side and could grab a bite to eat and look through a magazine. It became my "me" time that is so hard to come by. From the airport terminal I couldn't wash dishes,  clean the floor, or do laundry. All of the everyday stuff that I fill my time with was impossible. Well, everything except homework and somehow there is always a way to do that it seems. WiFi has been both a blessing and a curse as far as that goes. It seems like it gets harder and harder to unplug.

Oh, and I can't forget to mention the people! Now that is some good entertainment. I'm always curious as to where they are going, who they are meeting, and the reasons for their travel. Some people get very dressed up for the airport which always kind of amuses me. I guess if they are going right into a situation where they need to be dressed a certain way I can understand it, but for everyone else it just seems silly. Flying is kind of a cramped uncomfortable experience to some degree so why would anyone want to make that worse. I say go for comfort! I remember a very funny thing a lady once said to me as we were boarding a flight. She looked down at my feet and I was wearing brown leather flip flops. She then turns and asks me why I'm not wearing  tennis shoes? She tells me that she would never flying in any other type of footwear because the chances of surviving a plane crash are much greater if you're wearing tennis shoes. I've thought about that one a lot and somehow I just don't think it comes down to your shoes. There are lots of factors that come into play but I don't think footwear is one of them. 

Anyway, I love flying and wish I could do more of it. I miss the days of planning a last minute trip and away we would go. My 8-month grounds us a little bit, but I guess that is to be expected. Ultimately I wouldn't have it any other way. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been terrified of flying my whole life! I actually get panic attacks if I walk into an airport. I always knew driving was much more dangerous then flying but I don't care. My motto is "If i can't drive there then I'm never going there"! I don't have any clue why I have always been so scared but I am and i can't seem to shake it.

    ReplyDelete